|Havering Palace as it would probably have appeared in 1578, viewed from the north-east.1|
This reconstruction was based on research undertaken by three members of the Romford & District Historical Society: Richard Matthews, Stanley Madell and Derek Rowland. They were aided in their task by a study of comparable buildings of similar dates, and plans of the palace drawn in 1578 for Lord Burleigh.2
On the far left is St. Mary's chapel, on the site of which was later built the parish church of St. John the Evangelist.
At the front of the palace stands the gatehouse, close to the western edge of what is now Havering Green. The gatehouse appears on a number of local coats of arms, including those of the Romford Borough Council.
1 Reproduced by kind permission of the artist, Derek Rowland.
2 Havering Village to Harold Wood, plates 10 & 11.