subject. DAGENHAM PARK, on the verge of the parish, 3½ miles N.E. of Romford, is the seat of Sir Thos. Neave, Bart. The park comprises about 100A., and is well wooded. It was purchased, in 1772, by Sir Richd. Neave, who was created a baronet in 1795. He pulled down the old house, and erected the present elegant mansion on a new site, which commands extensive views. Sir Richard was governor of the Bank of England, auditor of the public accounts, chairman of the East India Merchants, &c., and died in 1814. The park was anciently a seat of the Dagenhams, and afterwards passed to the Wright, Carteret, Clutterbuck, and other families. It is sometimes called Dagonhams or Dagnam, to distinguish it from Dagenham parish, in Becontree Hundred. The old manor houses of Cockerels, Goosehays, Mawbery, Gobions, East House, &c., are occupied by farmers.
Romford had its name from an ancient ford which crossed the Bourne brook, or small river Rom, where there is now a good bridge. Dr. Stukeley considered it of Roman origin, and on the authority of Richard of Cirencester, called it the Durolitum of Antonius. Lethieullies supposes its present name to be a contraction of Romanford, but Lyson says it is pure Saxon, signifying broad-ford. The ford was no doubt used by the Romans, but there is no evidence of their ever having a station here. The parish was formerly one of the wards of Hornchurch parish, but by an act of parliament for regulating the poor, in 1786, it is recognised as a separate parish for the maintenance of its poor, under 30 guardians, who built a workhouse at a cost of £4,000, for this and other parishes. The town consists chiefly of one wide and long street, well paved, and lighted with gas, and the houses are generally well built. The market, for which a charter was granted by Henry III., in 1247, is held on Wednesday, and is one of the largest in the county, for corn, cattle, sheep, swine, calves, poultry, &c. Here is also a large fair, for cattle, &c. on the 24th June. The Corn Exchange was a bank, but was purchased and altered for its present use, in 1845. It has 54 stands, and is lighted from the roof. The town was formerly famous for the manufacture of leather breeches, whence arose the common saying, "go to Romford to be new bottomed." The two iron foundries and machine works at Hornchurch, are in the vicinity of the town, and on market days there is usually a large auction of horses, carriages, &c. The market place and tolls were purchased of the Crown, some years ago, by H. Mackintosh, Esq. The Town Hall and Market House were repaired at the expense of the Crown, in 1763; but the former was rebuilt during the present century, at the cost of about £4,000. In this hall are held the quarter and petty sessions, the court of ancient demesne, and the other courts of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower. Under it is the liberty goal, consisting only of four cells, now used only for the temporary confinement of prisoners, who, if sentenced to hard labour, &c., are sent to the county goal at Springfield. The separate jurisdiction, courts, magistrates, and officers of this Liberty, are already noticed at pages 371-2. The ESSEX COUNTY COURT, for Romford District, is now held here monthly. W. Gurdon, Esq., is the judge; Mr. Alfred Ward, clerk; and Mr. Samuel Southey, bailiff. In 1795, BARRACKS, for six troops of Cavalry, were erected on the west side of town,