|Market Place viewed from its western end in about 1905.1|
On the right-hand side, nearest the camera, are Cramphorn's, Macarthy Chemist & Druggist, and the rebuilt King's Head inn. On the left-hand side, beyond the wall of St. Edward's churchyard, is the Cock & Bell inn. The King's Head was rebuilt in 1898,2 whilst the Cock & Bell ceased to be a public house in 1908,3 placing the photograph sometime between these two dates. At the far end of the market stands the Laurie Hall.
This photograph must have been taken from the old court house, which once stood at the western end of the market.
1 Kindly provided by Phil Dawkins.
2 King's Head on Public Houses, Taverns & Inns of Essex, England.
3 Cock & Bell on Public Houses, Taverns & Inns of Essex, England.